Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Exploratorium : the museum of science, art and human perception

The Exploratorium is a museum website brought to you by San Francisco's Palace of Fine Arts containing (according to them) 18,000 pages. That's pretty overwhelming and I will never actually view all of them. It is a kind of busy website but, that said, it has lots of cool stuff useful to you and your students.

Under Educate is their page of Tools for Teaching. Currently this page is spotlighting Cow's Eye Dissection which includes a video of a dissection (no, I didn't watch it as I have just had my dinner), eye diagrams, and activity instructions (yes, including how to dissect a cow's eye). Other Tools for Teaching include how-to videos of after school/at home activities, hands on activities, a Digital Library containing resources pertaining to their exhibits, Webcasts and Podcasts, and Educator Newsletter and Online Exhibitions. They even have videos of Iron Science Teacher, which is like Iron Chef but with, yes you guessed it, Science Teachers having to design a science or math activity using the "secret ingredient". Pretty entertaining, I must say.

I enjoyed this site and think it has lots to offer. I'm going to definitely explore it more another day and maybe even watch that eye dissection video...

No comments:

Post a Comment