Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History

The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History is a "nonprofit organization supporting the study and love of American history through a wide range of programs and resources for students, teachers, scholars, and history enthusiasts throughout the nation" and their website is a treasure trove of resources. So many, in fact, that I probably won't be able to mention all the wonders I explored. I was led to this site by its information on the abolitionist John Brown and, once I started exploring, I was hooked. Online exhibits, teachable documents, curriculum modules, podcasts, and (my favorite thing) a quarterly online journal (History Now). The journal, all by itself, is wondrous. It contains articles; lesson plans for High School, Middle School, and Elementary School; and interactive modules you can use with students. My mind was just whirling with ways to use this site in the classroom. So check this one out. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Judy,
    Congratulations on your new blog. I got excited when I saw your posting and "clicked" right to it.

    Your blog -- and your Del.ic.ious bookmarks -- will be nice addition to a resource list for an online graduate course I teach about using primary sources. Thank you for sharing.
    Mary Alice Anderson, UW-Stout
    andersonmary@uwstout.edu

    ReplyDelete